Saturday, February 13, 2010

EOB Recommends: ZARDOZ

I know what some of you out there are thinking right now.  Why in the world recommend this much teased and often ridiculed film?  Well, its all got to do with how things are going these days with the cinema (I won't go into great detail, as I already have before).  Since there's more than enough complaining about how there's nothing original left for Hollywood to offer, it seemed fitting to recommend something out of the past.  Zardoz is certainly original, if not outlandish in some aspects.  I myself was unsure of what I was getting myself into when I first watched this 1974 film by John Boorman (of Deliverance fame).  Now I'm glad I did, and each subsequent viewing brings new things to appreciate, as with all good films.  Granted this film is not for everyone, not by a long shot.  However, if you're fairly open minded for some extravagances of the imagination and will be able to hold a suspension of disbelief in certain instances, than I think you may enjoy yourself.  Briefly, the film concerns the inner machinations of a Utopia of immortals and how, for most paradises, all is not right with the world.  Sean Connery's character, Zed, plays the catalyst for the overturning of the society which he unwittingly enters.  Though, not a perfect film, Zardoz, I think, is worth reappraisal nowadays and is a thoughtful and unique dystopia picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment